Fixing Video Display Problems

TechnologyNo Comments

You Are Here:Fixing Video Display Problems

I get countless numbers of emails from people who just can’t get the Windows Desktop to show up on their monitor. I hear complaints of “it comes on at first, then the screen just goes black” all the way to “my desktop is only showing the color gray for everything.”

The fact of the matter is, these are common problems and most video/graphic display problems can be fixed if the user just knew a little extra important information.

The first thing every computer user should know about their computers display properties is that most computers have a video card built into it’s main circuit board. This means any additional video/graphic cards you install, or that came with it, are the secondary display device.

This causes a problem because the computer tends to want to display the default display device at first, leaving you with a black screen because your monitor is plugged into the other display device port. This can be changed one of two ways, through Windows or your computers BIOS setup screen, or by physically moving a jumper on your computers motherboard.

Your computers motherboard is the big main circuit board inside your computer, and a jumper is a little tab like piece of plastic that connects two pins together. If this is the way your computer makes you enable the video/graphics card, then the jumper will be located somewhere on your motherboard. Somewhere might be a broad term, but motherboards come in many different shapes, sizes, brands and varieties, so I can not be certain where your’s would be located.

Note: If you cannot find it with your eyes, read your motherboard or computers manual to see where it is.

The next piece of important information, and really the last piece you need to know, is how to adjust your display properties. From Windows 95 and up Microsoft has always made it easy to adjust these properties by just right clicking anywhere on your desktop, and then click “Properties”.

The Properties box will open, and you will see several sections that allow you to adjust various things, like the appearance, resolution, monitor set up, color scheme, wallpaper, screen saver and much more.

Knowledge of these two factors will greatly help you in diagnosing and fixing about 90% of the display problems you have, and the other 10% of problems are usually caused because your video/graphics card has gone bad and you just need a new one.

About the author:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top